Table of Contents
Wisdom teeth are third molars that erupt in adulthood in most people. Hardly are there those who have not heard about the agony by which the appearance of additional molars is accompanied, but there are lucky ones who manage to fully or partially avoid this bounty of nature. Some people just have wisdom teeth not coming in. Why? Let’s figure it out.
The Causes of Wisdom Teeth Is not Growing In
These teeth are now considered by many scientists rudimentary elements. The fact is that thousands of years ago human ancestors had more massive jaws, by which they had to do a lot of difficult work. Over time, people began to eat softer foods and the need for powerful jaws disappeared.
Due to the lack of space in the tooth row, these molars can sometimes cause discomfort, not even erupting, because they begin to interfere with their neighbors, and then surgical intervention and their extraction is necessary. Evolution has done its work, and today the jaw of a modern man is at least 1 cm less than that of his ancestors. And if then the existence of a third molar was justified, today it is just unnecessary and, accordingly, it has nowhere to grow.
Note!Recently, Western scientists have made an interesting discovery. It turned out that the use of analgesics during dental treatment in children aged from 2 to 5 years can affect whether there will be additional molars in the future.
The fact is that their germs, in contrast to the other teeth, begins to develop in the jaw not before a baby is born but at the age of about 5 years. Somehow, the injection of the analgesic into the gums can stop the development of third molars. But, of course, dental procedures carried out in childhood concern very few people who lack wisdom teeth. There are several factors that influence the process of their appearance.
The Time of Appearance
Third molars have one unique feature: while all molars of an adult replace the milk teeth, additional molars erupt only once. As mentioned above, their germs begin to form approximately at the age of 5 and begin to erupt in those aged 16-18 years. It is believed that basically this process ends by the age of 25-28, but there are exceptions. Some people think that extra molars will not grow in at all, but at the age of 40-50 they can expect a surprise.
Perhaps the name “wisdom teeth” was invented exactly because they appear already at the mature age. The very process of teething in favorable situation lasts for about one and a half months, but the roots can grow two to four years.
Genetics is not yet fully studied science and cannot give answers to all questions, but experts are inclined to believe that the appearance or absence of wisdom teeth may be a hereditary factor. Recently, a team of American scientists have come to the conclusion that there are certain groups of people who lack several or all third molars.
According to experts, tens of thousands of years ago there was a mutation that stopped the growth of wisdom teeth in some people. Then, according to the theory of scientists, during the process of evolution jaws were more and more decreasing and eventually there was just no place left for third molars. Of course, wisdom teeth in some cases still erupted, bringing terrible suffering. Here the researchers put forward the theory that, in fact, evolution continues and the pain just doesn’t allow third molars to come in, and it contributes to the increase of the number of people who have wisdom teeth not growing out.
About 90% of adult people in the world have all 4 wisdom teeth erupted, 10% have one-three third molars. On average, 26% of people have these molars not erupted at all, this is just due to the lack of space in the row of teeth. 80% of the cases of the eruption are accompanied by multiple complications and is dangerous not only for health, but for life as well.
Purulent abscess, dental cyst, inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, the disturbance of the placement of the adjacent teeth as well as their destruction, malocclusion are just a small part of the ills caused by wisdom teeth. In 0.1% of cases there occurs an extremely rare anomaly – six wisdom teeth due to double top third molars. Approximately 9% of people have their wisdom teeth not erupted – usually the top ones in men and the lower in women.
According to the latest data, there are approximately 2% of people (mostly men with a well-developed jaw) who have their third molars positioned correctly, they are involved in chewing and don’t cause any discomfort. The other 98% are forced to have these teeth extracted. In addition, nations who live in the far North have wisdom teeth grown in less frequently than all other people in the world.
Perhaps in the near future evolution will lead to extra molars eventually stopping coming in, but now we have to resign ourselves to the appearance of this rudiment and visit the dentist more often.