There are several major causes of smell coming from gum:
- Dental plaque. During the day plaque accumulates on the neck of the tooth and it is not often cleaned sufficiently. You can feel the characteristic smell, which is difficult to get rid of, if you skip the brushing procedure for at least a few days. Calcium salts, which are present in the saliva, lead to mineralization of plaque and the formation of tartar. Tartar requires serious treatment. It is much more difficult to remove the tartar than the soft plaque. Such accretion may occur both above and below the gums.
- Inflammatory processes in the gums. The reason for this is often gingivitis or periodontitis. It manifests itself not only with smell coming from gum, but also with increased bleeding of gums, accompanied by toothache, sensitivity to hot and cold, and in advanced cases with loosening and loss of teeth.
- If the smell is stronger after eating, the causes of the smell are the remnants of food between the teeth. The longer it takes to get rid of these remnants, the stronger will be the smell. Microorganisms that cause the unpleasant smell feel great in undigested food.
- Caries. Pathogenic microflora, which is the cause of unpleasant smell, multiplies rapidly in the holes that appear with the development of caries.
- Decay of the tooth under the crown.
- Tonsillitis – the medical term for the chronic inflammatory processes in the tonsils. If this inflammation slowly flows over a long period of time, there is often bad breath.
- Gastrointestinal ailments: ulcer, gastritis and others. In this case the patient himself does not feel that his mouth stinks.
- Dysbacteriosis of the oral cavity. It is due to the excessive use of oral products, which include antibiotics. Such means adversely affect the natural microflora.
- Frequent breathing through the mouth. Due to this, the mucous surface of the mouth is dried and accretion on the teeth is formed faster.
- Individual characteristics (nutrition and hormonal disorders of the body).
How to Get Rid of Bad Breath&
As has been mentioned above, the measures to combat the smell depend on its cause:
- When there is plaque and tartar on teeth – the plaque and tartar should be removed with the help of special dental measures and equipment: ultrasound or specialized devices are used to remove the tartar;
- Inflammation as a result of gum disease. In this case it is necessary to cure the gum. The method depends on the disease. Usually, plaque is removed from the teeth, a course of treatment lasts about 10 days, after that is necessary to follow the doctor’s recommendations;
- When there is accretion of food residues – normalization of hygiene of the oral cavity, the use of a toothbrush together with a tooth floss, specialized rinses and chewing gum;
- When there is caries, the treatment of carious defects, dental fillings and other dental measures are required;
- When the tooth is rotting under the crown it is necessary to remove the crown, the decayed tooth is cleaned, restored and sealed. A new, more suitable crown is set;
- In case of tonsillitis it is difficult to say how to get rid of the smell quickly. The treatment includes several stages. Firstly, it is necessary to cure the infection, which is the cause of the bad smell coming from gum. Secondly, the doctor may prescribe a course of immunostimulatory therapy, if the cause of inflammation is reduced immunity;
- In gastrointestinal ailments the treatment means getting rid of these diseases;
- In dysbacteriosis you should normalize the hygiene of the oral cavity and stop to use pastes and other means based on triclosan and chlorhexidine.
You can also perform the treatment using folk remedies. To remove the horrible smell from gums, our ancestors chewed coriander fruits, roots and leaves of parsley, rinsed the mouth with wormwood tincture, mint tea and infusion of calamus root. Folk remedies include:
- Infusion of calendula, chamomile and St. John’s wort, wormwood shoots. Out these plants in boiled water, infuse for half an hour. Then, use the tincture to rinse your mouth several times a day.
- A decoction of oak bark, which is filled with water and boiled over low heat. The resulting liquid is carefully filtered, and used to rinse the mouth.
- A solution of salt or soda is the most common recipe, the use of which on a regular basis allows you to get rid of the root cause of an unpleasant smell – inflammatory processes in the gum tissue.
To avoid an unpleasant odor from the mouth you should follow simple rules of dental hygiene. Teeth cleaning should be carried out at least twice a day, use a moderately hard brush and specialized pastes. In addition to this, use a mouthwash and dental floss. Do not forget about the regular preventive examinations at the dentist. All in all, if you keep the whole body in a healthy state, the bad breath will never be your problem.