Table of Contents
Any surgical intervention is a stress for the body, and the organism responses to it through pain of different nature and localization. The process of tooth extraction is no exception. In the postoperative period, a person has pain in the area of extraction and damaged gums. There may also be headache or neck pain after tooth extraction.
Causes of Pain after Tooth Extraction
The reasons that cause pain include:
- expiration of the anesthetic drug action;
- injuries and tears during the procedure;
- insufficiently formed or completely absent blood clot;
- eating products which contribute to irritation of mucosa, located above the alveolar process of the mandibular bone;
- improper care of the oral cavity;
- irritation of the mucous membrane as a result of its injury by the remains of the tooth that rise above it.
Only a specialist could find out the initial cause of the pain. If the reason is dental residues, the dentist will remove all the parts cutting and causing irritation of the mucous membrane.
Localization of Pain
In the tooth
The most common symptom associated with oral diseases is pain that is localized in the damaged tooth or hole that heals after removal of the molar. The main problems that are accompanied by pain in the tooth are as follows:
- Caries. The disease spreads rapidly after penetration into the inner cavity, leading to the destruction of the jaw and nerve exposure, thereby increasing sensitivity and provoking constant aching pain.
- Naked dentin. This sensitive part of the tooth is hidden under the gum. When it is naked, a person begins to experience severe pain, for example, when breathing cold air.
- Seal. Por-quality installation of a seal leads to nerve exposure and subsequent complications.
- Crack in tooth. The destruction of the gingival structure gradually occurs because of this damage, which can also lead to neck pain after tooth extraction.
- Periodontitis. Inflammation of the gum, which is adjacent to the bone tissue. Pain impulses can be transmitted to the head trough nerve endings.
Quite often a person suffers from headaches for a long time and does not even suspect that the reason lies in problems with teeth. Sometimes it is necessary to visit the dentist to get rid of the source of annoying sensations. Headache is usually caused by inflammatory processes in the mouth. For example, inflamed molars can cause pain in the crown and neck, incisors affected by caries – in the frontal area, and problem fangs – in the temporal zone. Sick teeth on the lower jaw cause pain throughout the head.
Pain in ears, neck and temples
If there is pain in temples, it often indicates:
- inflammation that develops in the canines;
- inflammation of the temporomandibular joint caused by malocclusion or prolonged chewing of food on one side;
- eruption of the upper wisdom teeth.
Pain in the ears occurs due to:
- Pulpitis. The inflammatory process in soft tissues, in which the pain affects not only the tooth, but also the ears.
- Tooth extraction. The pain passes within 2 days.
- Inflammation of the trigeminal nerve.
There can also be neck pain after wisdom tooth extraction. The thing is the neck is located next to the jaw, and if there are problems in the lower dentition, it can affect the neck.
Medications are the most reliable and effective way to cope with unpleasant symptoms that appear after treatment or extraction of teeth. Dentists recommend to use:
Take one of these drugs orally 3 times a day. Usually they act quickly, but you should not increase the dose if the effect is not observed.
If your neck hurts after tooth extraction, you can use the following tips to eliminate the pain:
Rinse your mouth the decoction of chamomile and sage. To prepare it you will need 5 tablespoons of dry raw materials and a glass of boiling water. The mixture should be kept in a water bath for about 30 minutes, then strain it and cool.
Use the tincture or fresh juice of plantain. First option: pour 1 spoon of the plant with a glass of boiling water and let it brew for half an hour, then rinse the mouth with the means. Second option: wipe the gum in the area of the sore spot with squeezed juice.
Note!Apply garlic to the wrist, opposite the site of pain localization. The crushed garlic clove is tied to the hand with a bandage. In case of skin redness you should not use this method any more. Apply a compress from agave. Make a long cut on the washed leaf of the plant and apply it to the gum for 5 minutes. It is important to remember that agave is poisonous and can cause an allergic reaction.
Take a piece of beetroot. It is enough to put a fresh piece of it to the disturbing place.