Table of Contents
Diastema (gap between teeth) is quite a common phenomenon, a defect that spoils the aesthetic appearance of a smile.
Note!It is not as harmless as it seems. Periodontal diseases may occur, because the teeth become less stable under the heavy load.
Why do Teeth Diverge?
Let us consider the main causes of gaps between the front teeth:
- Heredity. One of the parents has such a pathology;
- Lip frenulum is low-set.
- The labial frenulum of the upper lip is excessively compacted.
- First dentition was replaced by the permanent one rather late.
- The absence of dentures for a long time on the site of the removed tooth. The adjacent teeth try to close the void, thereby forming gaps.
- The discrepancy of the bones of the jaw and size of teeth.
- Immature teeth are located incorrectly or there are tumors.
- Incorrect swallowing reflex in childhood can lead to such pathology.
- In children with milk teeth this defect is functional defect. A gap between teeth disappears when changing to permanent dentition.
- It could also be one of the complications of periodontal disease;
- Congenital defects of incisors growth.
Classification of Diastema
By the form:
- False. Observed at an early age when the bite is not formed.
- True. May be corrected only with the help of special treatment.
- Asymmetric. The gap of the upper teeth does not correspond to the lower ones.
By the position of the teeth:
- Hull offset. The roots are in a natural position and the crowns are rejected.
- The crowns are deflected laterally. The roots are curved and motionless.
- Integrated offset of crowns and roots.
What to Do with the Gap between Your Teeth?
Only an orthodontist can fix this problem. Treatment is carried out with the help of such methods as:
- Artistic concealment of the slit.
- Orthodontic treatment.
- The establishment of veneers on front teeth, crowns.
- Surgical treatment.
This type of defect correction is absolutely safe. There is no need to remove teeth and surrounding tissue to improve the small gap between teeth. Before placing the braces, the teeth are cleaned with professional tools and cured. Braces can be metal, ceramic or plastic. Combined braces may be used for more effective treatment. There are also invisible braces (not visible to the people around).
Note!Treatment with braces is very effective, provides not a temporary but a permanent result, you can remove not only the wide front slit, but also the gap between teeth and gums.
There are also disadvantages of such treatment:
- You will have to wear braces for a long time (about 2-3 years), visit the dentist every month, take care of your braces and abandon some types of food;
- It is not possible to remove them yourself;
- The older patient, the longer the treatment;
- Could not be used when treatment of children under 10 years old.
Its undoubted advantage is that the bite split could be removed before eating. You can wear it only at night. It is plastic, transparent and almost invisible. Thanks to the special material teeth are bleached after regular use.
If the gap is not large, this method will help to fix this trouble easily. With the help of a special seal, which is polymerized under the special UV lamp, interdental tissue could be restored from one to 3 layers. The number of layers depends on the initial width of the gap. The advantages of art restoration are:
- Composite material of the seal. The patient could choose its shade from the color palette presented by the dentist;
- Photopolymer seals which fill the gap completely;
- The procedure lasts from 30 minutes to two hours;
- It does not require the use of anesthesia, the procedure is painless;
- There are no contraindications for the use of photopolymer seals;
- Does not require special care;
- No complications;
- Children, pregnant women and people with cancer could be treated using the restoration method.
Veneers or crowns
The use of veneers is a revolutionary method, but quite expensive. They consist of a thin layer of porcelain, attached to the front of the tooth. The result of the correction is noticeable immediately. Visually, the gap disappears completely. Only the doctor and the patient know that the treatment was carried out, as there are no visible traces of it. It is also possible to change the color of the teeth, thanks to the variety of shades. This method of tooth correction does not require long-term adaptation.
Frenectomy means surgical removal of the frenulum. This procedure is often used to treat young children. After such an operation, the gap closes itself.
Home Treatment with Traditional Remedies?
If you do not want to seek help from dentists, try to fix the defect at home. Take a piece of thread, wrap the incisors and tighten, leave overnight or for 12 hours. There may be a slight pain.
This method of treatment gives the first results in a year or several years. Before you engage in self-treatment, you need to consult a dentist, so as not to aggravate the situation.
All in all, being aware of the numerous methods of treatment and the benefits of each of them, you have to think carefully and choose the best method for you.